Friday, February 17, 2006

Back in VanCity

Got into Vancouver last night. I had a long flight and very little sleep, if any at all. Stopped at Heathrow….went through a long line-up through customs and then went to meet up with a friend.

2 buses, a train and almost 2 hours later, I met up with her in Wembley. Man, was it ever cold? And I was inappropriately dressed….I was chilled to the bone. It was nice seeing her again, though….she looked good…less stressed out….happier….and her baby is soooo adorable…..she is like a clone of my friend and smiles a lot…she has the cutest dimples.

I hung out with my friend, her 3 month old baby and my auntie (my friend's mum) for a bit then. Then it was a mad rush to the airport. We left by 2 thinking by 3:30 I’d be in, since the plane left at 4:45.

I must say I was impressed with my friend's energy and how efficiently she handled the baby in town…I could barely carry the kid the first time without being nervous of dropping her…and here my friend was, carrying the baby with all her gear and the pram over the numerous escalators and even managing to run.

By the time I got into the airport it was 4:15., I had to go through customs line up again….now that was stress….i knew the gate closed at 4:25..and I was still in line at 4: 22 or so…..i heard the final call for the flight and I had to run like crazy to the plane through long corridors and long flights of stairs lugging my laptop bag and a heavy hand luggage….on an almost empty stomach and no sleep…..i got there past 4:45 ..i felt so bad….but as I run I thought to myself…dear God, if I’m not meant to be on this plane then so be it….if I miss this plane, there’s a perfectly good reason….but I made it and there was a good reason for that too.

After an especially long session through a customs check and verification of my travel history etc…..i met a nice elderly man who was on the plane with me…he had worked in Ghana, kumasi to be precise and he gave me quarters to call a cab…..i noticed a guy carrying a sign over his face following me around....i thought to myself...who's this weirdo...and as i was talking with the kind elderly man, i noticed it was my dear ex... was in shock....i just stood there not knowing whether to hug him or smack him in the face.....but he came over and hugged me...he'd brought my old coat that i left him....he'd even sewn the holes that were in the pockets.

anyways...he helped me look for my lodging which was nice....i didn't have to pay 25 bucks for a taxi.....

it was a weird night to put it mildly....but I'm glad to be back

No comments:

Post a Comment