Sunday, January 20, 2008

Shooting a short film about life...



Shooting at Stave lake B.C. where the salmon were spawning.

For those that care to know about the salmon life cycle...basically what happens is the fish (salmon) spawns in fresh water or rivers (2000 - 10,000 eggs per female). The eggs hatch after 3-4 months.

After a few months to a couple of years depending on the type of salmon, the fish migrate to sea. A lot don't make it on their journey to the sea. Once they reach there, they can live in the sea for up to 3 years and after that, what I consider a wonder of nature....the salmon swim back to their stream or river to the exact place where they are born to spawn before they die.

It was actually an interesting and sad experience to see....there were dead fish everywhere.....and sometimes the smell was too much to bear.

A lot of the fish were pretty much dying by the time they reach the streams....they had come to the end of their life cycle....some of them would jump out of the water and back again, half rotten but still alive, just trying to make it to the where they were born to die...

I was a bit pissed off at some people that were taking advantage of the weak state of the fish and catching scores of them. I thought it was such an unfair sport, giving that they were half dead. It was disgusting that they were catching the fish in various stages of decomposition and I imagine the plan was to serve them in their restaurants.....gross!

















anyways, in my movie I tried to use the life cycle of the salmon as a comparison to the life cycle of humans and our trials and tribulations....


thats why I'm filming at a cemetary here. Where it all ends for us humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment