Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thats the way things work around here - part 4 of 4


I finally got my stuff from the harbour after another long day. I came with my own pair of sneakers this time. A decent enough customs lady went through my boxes without much fuss. The delays were from more paper work and 3 different inspection points, which were more of time wasters and money makers for the customs people than anything else:

Vehicles queued up before the gate, waiting to be inspected


Just before the gate, another customs agent had to inspect the already inspected items, then the police, then some sort of BNI related officer. None of them actually opened a single box, but just made us wait around and ask all sorts of unnecessary and at times inappropriate questions. I guess these are the people the bribe money my agent collected from me went to. Even the security guards had to be bribed or ‘they’ll worrry’ me as he put it. All in all I think I spent only slightly less money in total bringing in my personal items from abroad, than a friend of mine who brought in more items and for commercial use. It didn’t make sense. But lots of things here don’t make sense, that’s just the way things work around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment