Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to reality

I'm amazed at how expensive things are. I went to buy a tin of sardines yesterday and thought I didn't hear right, when the lady at the store said it was 1 GHC. That was like 10,000 in the old currency! And this was the cheapest of the brands. I keep having to do quick conversions in my head when I'm buying items so I can tell if I'm being cheated, I guess.  I used to spend less than 10,000 a day on my 3 meals in a day! I was stunned. 
What was even more shocking was when my mum asked how much a piece of  'nkate cake' was and was told it was 1GHC!  I couldn't understand it. We don't import this snack. Why was it so expensive? How do kids afford to buy snacks like these with their 'chop' money? Later on she wanted to buy cucumber and was told it cost.....you guessed it....1GHC. It almost seems like the people selling stuff or providing services have rounded the lowest prices to 1GHC.  

I went to buy gas for cooking today and it cost 80GHC. That's like half of someone's salary if not more. I can't for the life of me imagine how Ghanaians survive. I suppose it comes as a shocker to me because I lived here only 3 and a half years ago and the prices just seem to have skyrocketed beyond reason.  I'm sure I'll slowly get used to this as everyone does. But I definitely need to find a decent paying job and live a simple lifestyle to survive here. No Busta Rhymes shows for me (80 GHC per ticket) and I need to start a vegetable garden and learn how to make ''nkate cake'.

No comments:

Post a Comment